Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Remembering the Truth in a Time of Cultural Crisis

After 9/11, I was a basket case. The unthinkable happened on American soil, and I was terrified of what would happen next. To keep the panic at bay, no news was good news, so I wouldn't watch TV or listen to the radio. I even averted my eyes when I happened upon a newspaper at the grocery store. Though I had been a Christian for many years, my knowledge of the Scriptures and specifically God's character was weak. Therefore, it was no wonder I had nothing to support me when the towers fell.

Fast forward 13 years.

Diane mentioned in her post yesterday that the moral landscape of our country has been altered beyond recognition since 1973, and it is still undergoing upheavals even within the last three weeks with no respite. Just in the last 24 hours, the news regarding Planned Parenthood reveals an attack on all that is righteous and good, and it is horrifying. Physical buildings may not be falling this time, but "if the foundations are destroyed, what can the righteous do?" (Ps. 11:3)

Unlike my reaction 13 years ago, I know I can't hide from the world in a bunker in the hills. I can't put my hope in circumstances, even as I pray for God's mercy and intervention. There is only one refuge that is safe and sure in this time of cultural crisis. I must run to God's Word and gird my mind and heart with these truths:

God has not abdicated His throne of righteousness

Your throne, O God, is forever and ever. The scepter of your kingdom is a scepter of uprightness; you have loved righteousness and hated wickedness. Ps. 45:2
"Wicked men question the very existence of God, who takes care of the world, who orders the affairs of it, and judges in it. And therefore they cast off the fear of God. Yet at the conclusion of the world He shall make His dominion visible to all, so that even those who have denied Him shall find, that God is their supreme Lord, and Lord of the whole world!"1

In the midst of tribulation, Jesus has overcome the world

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
"The unlimited dominion of King Jesus extends over . . . all things, all events, all circumstances, all people! All are subjected to the sovereign control of the King of kings and Lord of lords! Everywhere on this earthly globe--as far as waves roll, winds blow, sun shines, or stars hold on their nightly courses--does the scepter of Jesus sway the destinies, and control the designs and actions of men."2

The great commission still stands, and Jesus will be with us to the end

And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” Matt. 28:18-20
"Oh, for the heart, the spirit, and the soul to avail ourselves of the golden opportunity, and to preach Christ where He has never been preached before! All Power, then, we can clearly see, over everything in this world has been given to Christ, and has been used for the propagation of His Truth! But, Brethren, let us recollect that Power is given to Christ in Heaven as well as on earth. All angels bow before Him, and the cherubim and seraphim are ready to obey His high behests. Power is given to Him over the plenitude of the Holy Spirit; He can pour out the mysterious energy in such abundance that nations can be born in a day! He can clothe His ministers with Salvation, and make His priests shout aloud for joy; He has Power to intercede with God, and He shall presently send out men to preach, presently give the people the mind to hear, and give the hearers the will to obey! We have in the midst of us today our Leader. He is not gone from us. "3

1. The Sovereign Ruler of the World, Jonathan Edwards
2. Jesus the Enthroned King, J.C. Philpot
3. The Missionaries Charge and Charter, Sermon 383, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, April 21, 1861.

2 comments:

  1. The truth of his word is our comfort, it should give us hope when things look hopeless. It reminds us that he still reigns over all. If there was ever a time when we need to saturate ourselves with the truth of his word it is now

    ReplyDelete