Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The day I had more faith in the plumber than in God

I am out of my league when it comes to home repairs, so I am very grateful for reliable contractors, plumbers, and all around handymen who can fix whatever is broken. Therefore, I knew who to call when the toilet started running for what seemed like forever before it finally stopped. The plumber got the job done for a fair price in less than an hour the following day. When all was back to normal, I offered a prayer of thanks for this gentleman, his skill, and the relief it was to turn over my problem to someone I could trust. But then this thought crossed my mind:

"You stopped worrying about the toilet as soon as you knew the plumber was coming the next day. Why do you keep worrying about the things you commit to the Lord? It sounds like you had more faith in the plumber than you do in God at times."

Ouch.

Well I was without excuse when it was put like that. It was a weight off my shoulders to leave the plumbing to the plumber. Why don't I experience that same relief when I commit my life and its cares to Almighty God? Why do I continue to stew and fret as though He hasn't heard me or I might have slipped His mind? Granted plumbing isn't quite on the same scale, but then again, this is the Triune God we're talking about. 

This is the God who:

Upholds the universe by the word of His power. (Heb. 1:3)
Is the eternal, unchanging Creator. (Heb. 1:10-12)
Laughs at His enemies and their futile plans to thwart His purposes. (Psalm 2:4-6)
Saved me. (Eph. 2:1-10)
Promised to never leave me nor forsake me. (Heb. 13:5-6)
Intercedes. Works all things together for good and will complete His work in my life. (Rom. 8:26-30)
Remains faithful even when my faith fails. (2 Tim. 2:13)

Based on this evidence, is there any valid reason why I shouldn't have faith in God and trust Him with everything? None whatsoever. This doesn't mean that life won't have its troubles, but I'm already in the safest and most secure place there is. I am in His hands and no one can snatch me out. (John 10:28-29)

So I had to repent of my unbelief. It probably won't be the last time, but I'm thankful for His forgiveness and His faithfulness to continue to remind me of the truth. 

The Lord never wastes a teachable moment. Even a running toilet.

3 comments:

  1. Oh ouch, this post burned a little.
    Thanks for the truth and reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I needed to read it! Thanks, Persis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you....a much needed reminder this morning.

    ReplyDelete