Friday, September 14, 2012

It is out of the ordinary that we write

A few years back my personal blog was treated to a new header design thanks to the generosity and talent of internet acquaintance of mine. In the course of our email exchange regarding design elements and such the designer suggested I develop a tagline to more fully identify my blog's focus. Up until that point I was writing under the plain ol' heading "Lisa writes..." which I thought pretty much encapsulated what I was doing with the blog (though admittedly "Lisa writes, but only sometimes" may be a better descriptor).

In an effort to jumpstart my tagline quest my designer friend suggested I consider my niche, what makes my blog and my voice unique. After a few days' thought I sent her what I thought to be some rather pithy tagline possibilities. In the nicest way possible she gave me her honest assessment: my tagline suggestions were rather tired and overused and, frankly, unoriginal.

Which, as I think on it, seems rather apropos for my so-called niche.

However, I remained tagline-less for quite some time after that.

I did, finally, add a tagline a few years later, one that may or may not reflect a certain unique corner of the blog market but one that I hope reflects who I am and how I write, an ordinary woman seeking to live out her ordinary life in the love and service of her Lord.

In fact, that's our focus here. We've called our blog "Out of the Ordinary" because that's how we write: out of the utter ordinariness of our lives. If you click over and read our bios you'll see we're just regular women: moms and grandmothers, employees and empty nesters, Bible teachers and avid readers, lovers of photography and of chocolate. Nothing special, just ordinary women living ordinary lives and blogging about it.

And, yet, it is also out of this ordinariness of life that we seek to know and serve the Lord. We aren't seminarians nor are we in vocational ministry. Instead, we are reading books by Christian theologians at our breakfast table. We are serving our local churches. We are seeking to reconcile our real life struggles with the truths of Scripture. We are working out our theology as we drop kids off at football practice and as we cook supper for our families and as we rock our grandbabies to sleep.

It is out of the ordinary that we write and out of the ordinary that we study and serve.

As we devote ourselves to the study of God's Word we have found that sound theology is far from a dry academic pursuit. With great joy and according to the Lord's great mercy we have each of us discovered that the gospel is real and that it carries profound effects in our real and ordinary lives. We love theology because by it we learn more of the God we serve and the Savior we love and this knowledge transforms our ordinary lives into a holy sacrifice pleasing unto the Lord, proving the goodness and perfection of His will and His ways.

In other words, theology matters. It is not just for your pastor but for you and me too, no matter our stage of life nor its ordinariness or extraordinariness.

So, as my fellow authors have done, I too invite you, here, via the blog, to join us as we pursue sound doctrine and solid theology out of and in the midst of our ordinary lives. The lifelong pursuit of the knowledge of the Lord will refine our faith and transform us into solid women, humble women, secure women, women who know the grace of the Lord and the power of the Spirit, glory to His name. Solid theology building solid women, this is our aim. We are ordinary, no doubt about it. But we've tasted and we've seen and we want the same for you! 1 Corinthians 4:7 reminds us we are humble jars of clay but it is out of that ordinary vessel the surpassing beauty and power of the treasure within shines forth. May it be so here as in all of our lives, yes and amen!

17 comments:

  1. I too use the word "ordinary" in my tagline: "The Gospel interrupting the Ordinary." As I was reading your post, it made me think of how profound the ordinary really is. I just read your latest post on your personal blog about being thankful, and right now I am immeasurably thankful for the ordinary. This is where God has blessed us and put us to serve. And it is by serving faithfully in the ordinary that we see and appreciate what truly is extra-ordinary--the One who has created and redeemed us. Our lives may be ordinary, but the message of good news we have to share is extraordinary! That's the beauty of theology! Thanks, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Aimee, both for this kind comment and for your commitment to the gospel in the midst of the ordinary! :)

      Delete
  2. I loved this when I saw it in draft, and I love it even more now. So true. Most of us live in the ordinary, and most of life is lived in the ordinary. As His children, it is our privilege to sanctify the ordinary for Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having spent many years pursuing the extraordinary life--and becoming quite frustrated because...well...I'm NOT--the realization that most of life and most lives are ordinary was profound. Choosing contentment in Christ in the ordinary in order to reveal Him extraordinary has become my desire.

      Delete
  3. I too am just an ordinary woman who pursues theology through books. Looking forward to more of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. I'm glad we can pursue Him together through the wonder of the Internet!

      Delete
  4. "In other words, theology matters. It is not just for your pastor but for you and me too, no matter our stage of life nor its ordinariness or extraordinariness."

    Excellent post, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Persis. I'm glad for your commitment to theology and the pursuit of the knowledge of God--it encourages my own!

      Delete
  5. "Solid theology building solid women, this is our aim." May God equip and enable each of you to hit your mark spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry..technical difficulties - anyway:


    "But we've tasted and we've seen and we want the same for you!"

    I love this Lisa because "to whom much is given, much will be required".
    We live in a time in history where many women have access not only to Bibles but study resources like never before - and without cost through use of the Internet. With all the waffling and wrestling we all have done regarding being online the truth is the Internet is here to stay and we can take advantage of it. Yes, we are all ordinary women, and God has blessed us with an extraordinary privilege to share with His kingdom women from this 21st century platform.

    I'm so thankful you sisters have the vision to run with that! May He bless this effort greatly for His glory1

    Much love to you all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diane. So glad our Internet paths crossed!

      Delete
  8. By the way, Lisa, I wasn't able to comment on your blog (something about my browser doesn't support blah de blah de blah . . . they lost me at browser :) ) but I did have a fiction recommendation for you. I just finished Peace Like a River by ?Leif Enger and boy, was it good. Have you read it? The author writes so beautifully, every sentence is like (good) poetry. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. Peace Like a River is one of my all time favorites. All. Time. I echo your recommendation! I also read his book So Brave, Young and Handsome which I also liked but not nearly as well.

      Delete
  9. Looking forward to reading your posts in the days to come girls Love the title of this new blog and feel there is a definite gap for this type of ministry online.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm excited and I love the "tagline". Looking forward to reading!

    ReplyDelete